The New Mexico Chess Organization presents
The 2017 Capital City Open and Sectional Tournament – August 26th, 27th 2017
The Rotunda, Santa Fe, NM – 490 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Tournament Directors: Peter Lattimore, Willow LeTard
A. NM vs CO Match
Saturday features a two game match, ten per side, composed of 2 experts/masters, Class A, B, C, D, E champions, scholastic, women and senior champions from New Mexico and Colorado. Rounds at 10 am and 3 pm (G/90; d05). Participants in this match are eligible to receive a free entry in the Capital City tournament Sunday games while receiving a half-point bye and a zero-point bye for the Saturday games.
B. Capital City Tournament
Saturday and Sunday feature a 4 round swiss system tournament, open to everyone regardless of residence. There are rating minimums for some sections, but you can play up into any section for an additional payment of $15. Sections:
- Fischer (rating at least 1800), entry fee $50 (free entry to anyone rated 2200 or above, entry fee deducted from any prize awarded)
- Lasker (rating 1500 – 1799 or unrated), entry fee $45
- Fine (rating 1200 – 1499 or unrated), entry fee $40
- Browne (rating less than 1200 or unrated), entry fee $40
Rounds at 10 am and 3 pm Saturday and Sunday; G/90; d05. Prizes based on entries.
C. Scholastic Tournament
Sunday features a 4 round swiss system tournament open to all K – 12 players regardless of residence. Sections:
- High School (grades 9 – 12), entry fee $10
- Middle School (grades 6 – 8), entry fee $10
- Elementary School (grades K – 5), entry fee $10
Sections might be combined (into 1 or 2 sections) if not enough players. rounds at 10:00 am, 11:45 am, 2:30 pm, 4:15 pm; G/40; d0. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place medals will be awarded (based on tiebreaks) to each original section’s entrants even if sections are combined.
- Entries received by midnight August 19th receive a $5 discount; Paypal entry deadline 7 pm August 25th; deadline for checks: received by August 17th.
- USCF membership required (not available for purchase at tournament).
- On-site registration will only be available between 10:30 am and noon Saturday, and includes a $15 late fee and first round ½ point bye.
- Checks payable to NMCO, P.O. Box 4215, Albuquerque NM 87196.
- One ½ pt. bye available to each player (declared before 8:45 am Saturday); zero pt. byes available whenever needed.
- Bring your own chess pieces, board, clock and writing instrument(s); none supplied.
- Call tournament organizer Peter Lattimore at (505) 710-3420 if any questions or assistance needed.
Tournament Venue Parking:
Free parking will be available at the State Capitol Parking Facility. The structure is directly across the street from the west side of the Roundhouse.
485 Galisteo St, Santa Fe, NM 87501
The locations listed below are located within a 2 mile radius of the Roundhouse and parking structure. The rates quoted will apply to Friday and Saturday night
Sage Inn $139.00 Single/Double Occupancy (+ $5.00 parking fee) refer to Group 4753.
866-433-0335 or 505-982-5952 725 Cerrillos Road
Motel 6 $65.00 Single Occupancy & $70.00 Double Occupancy
Refer to NMCO rate / Jay Patel, General Manager
505-982-3551 646 Cerrillos Rd.